What is T5?
T5 is the fluorescent light tube that is 5/8 of an inch in diameter, comparing to the commonly used T8 fluorescent tube that is one inch in diameter. T5 is an increasingly popular development in fluorescent lighting. The "T" in lamp nomenclature represents the shape of the lamp-tubular. The number following the "T" represents the diameter of the lamp in eighths of an inch.
Advantages of T5.
- Lower power consumption. T5 consumes 28 watts, whereas T8 tube typically consumes 40 watts to 46 watts ( tube = 36 watts, ballast = 4 watts to 10 watts).
- Longer lifespan. T5 rated 20,000 hours and T8 only rated 8,000 hours.
- High power factor > 0.95. T8 has power factor of < 0.50.
- Lower mercury content, only 1/3 of the conventional T8.
- Instant starting and no flickering.
- Quiet operation without any humming noise.
- Cooler temperature, reducing load on air conditioning system.
- Lower light output degradation over time.
T5 retrofit is designed to directly plug into the existing T8 fixture, without the need of any re-work. This makes T5 retrofit an ideal replacement of existing T8. The retrofitting procedure is as follows.
In Sabah, T8 fluorescent tubes are still widely used in residential and commercial buildings. Lets assume replacing 100,000 pieces of T8 with T5 retrofit that running 12 hours daily, every year we could save,
- Save about 6,000 MWh of electricity.
- Save about RM2 millions of electricity bill.
- Reduce about 4,100 tons of carbon dioxide.
Operating 24 hours a day, the retrofit could pay back itself in less than a year with the saved electricity bill.